Friday 7 November 2008

A sense of self

I know I'm supposed to leave this as a travel blog, but sometimes there is more emotion associated with travel than there is actual exciting happenings.

With just over a month left until I pack my bags, board a plane and dive back into the arms of my parents, I have set my mind on figuring out one thing before I leave: myself.

I had a conversation with one of my best friends back at school about the fashion here in the UK. I told her, referring to a recent purchase of "shoobs" for £6 at Primark, that she and all of my friends were going to be completely terrified of my fashion sense upon my return to the States. After 2 months here, I have transitioned into a high-heel-dress-and-tight-and-scarf-wearing kind of girl. Before I left, the thought of buying a pair of cheap and uncomfortable high heels made me cringe and actually wearing them made me even more uneasy. But I find myself creating outfits assuming that I'll be wearing heels with them.

Prior to my trip here, I very rarely wore anything besides a comfortable pair of skinny jeans, an American Apparel unisex V-neck and a pair of flip flops or TOMS to go with. Now, I find myself wearing dresses from H&M and Top Shop along with matching tights, shoes and accessories - and that's on a pretty close to daily basis.

But as I was walking to work yesterday morning - wearing a pair of black skinny dress pants, a purple turtle neck and a mint green jacket with a pair of black high heels, I thought about how strange it was of me to be wearing high heels on my walk to work. I started to feel as though I was finally stepping into the career woman light and that high heels were no longer a barrier or an obstacle. At school, the only time it is appropriate to wear high heels is for a dressy night at the bar and you would never catch me trying to manoeuvre my tipsy stumbly self around the brick streets and sidewalks of Athens - yet I was attempting to manoeuvre around the brick sidewalks and stone streets of Cardiff.

I thought to myself, 'Wow - maybe I'll be able to wear heels out back in Athens! I'm doing just fine on these bricks!' As I was thinking this, I started to cross the street and while looking around for cars, I noticed that a dapper looking young man with an Ipod in his ears had been following close behind me. I immediately flipped the switch to include a sexy strut with my heels in order to catch his attention. As I started across the road, my heel caught a stone and my ankle rolled, causing one of the loudest scuffing noises I have ever heard in my life. I cringed with embarrassment and let the young man walk past me while hiding my face. But it was at this moment that I realized I haven't changed one bit since I've been here.

I came into this situation and opportunity thinking I was going to come out of it as a completely different person with a whole new agenda and mentality. I thought I'd return to Athens with no desire to go to the bars with my friends during the week and more of a desire to stay in and read a book or watch TV or something. I thought I'd adopt a lot of the British way of life - being proper and graceful and thin (I've lost a few pounds here, by the way) and healthy.

But, much to my surprise (and relief), I still find myself belching at the most inopportune moments, tripping over non-existent hazards, drinking in excess whenever possible and skipping my workouts on a day to day basis to just sit on the sofa and eat junk food. I find comfort knowing that while the time has changed and a few months have passed since I've been in the States, I'll return and will have no trouble going back to my old ways.

Along with that, I think I have done a pretty good job of adapting to the life of an adult - going to bed at a decent hour, staying in, not spending money on stupid things on a day to day basis and having a drink with dinner and not dinner with drinks. The taste of life that I've gotten while here won't go unnoticed upon my return, but will more so be put on hold for those last 6 months of irresponsible living before I graduate and am forced to live this kind of life for the rest of my days.

I am so excited to arrive back in the States, but am sad to be leaving such a wonderful and beautiful place. I cannot wait to be back in the presence of some of the most amazing people in the entire world, but I'm so glad I've had this experience to reassure me that I have the greatest friends I could have ever asked for to occupy my college years.

***

Tomorrow, I am heading up to Lampeter to visit Katie Saylor since I haven't seen her since September. Should prove to be a great trip.

Hope all is well! XXOO

No comments: