Tuesday 4 November 2008

The UK Press is all over this Obama Supporter!

Here is article #1 that I was interviewed for:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/11/04/we-voted-in-us-election-from-cardiff-91466-22175870/

We voted in US election from Cardiff
Nov 4 2008 by Gerry Holt, South Wales Echo

AMERICAN citizens have been voting for the next President of the United States – more than 6,000km away from home – in Cardiff.

As America today goes to the polls to decide between Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain, American interns working for Wales’ own politicians in Cardiff Bay gave their views on a contest which could go right to the wire.

For many of the students, today’s election will be the first in which they have been allowed to vote.

And for Kadi McDonald, who is from the swing state of Ohio, that will only make the experience even more memorable.

“It’s the first presidential election I’ve been able to vote in and I do think maybe I should have been at home to watch it,” she said.

“But, especially with working at the Assembly, I feel more involved than I ever would have been at school back at home. I probably wouldn’t have been that concerned with it if I’d been there.

“I think that being here makes it a much more interesting experience for me.

“I’ll be able to tell my kids that I voted for the US President in Cardiff, Wales!”

Kadi, 21, is a registered Democrat and says she voted for Obama in the poll. She voted by post just weeks after arriving in Cardiff back in September.

She originally supported Hillary Clinton but, after the New York senator was dumped out of the race, she educated herself about Obama and now believes America will have its first black President.

“The one thing he has done wonderfully is that he is really connected to the younger generation,” said the Ohio University politics and journalism student, who is working with the Welsh Labour group.

“It sounds really lame but he reaches out on Facebook and 99% of college students in America have one.”

Jill Zumbach, 19, who is also from Ohio, says she too has voted for Obama in what is her first election.

Jill, a politics student, says she believes Obama represents change in America.

“I really hope that he can bring about policies in the US that benefit people my age and future generations,” said Jill, who is working for the Welsh Liberal Democrats.

Jill says she is “unbelievably excited” about the election and says she plans to stay up all night to watch it.

“It’s quite cool... it’s really beneficial to see how the rest of the world views the election,” said Jill, who hopes to study law when she returns to the US.

Meanwhile, Cardiff Devils hockey player Jay Latulippe, who is from New York and has lived in Cardiff for about two months, says he hopes McCain will be victorious.

He said jokingly: “I would vote for McCain because I like his hair better!”



This morning, I was interviewed on BBC Wales 'Good Morning Wales' radio program. I have posted the interview and the quality is a kind of crappy, but you get the idea.




I was also filmed 'casting my vote' at an American Deli in Cardiff for ITV. This is the link to the online story, which was different from the newscast. http://www.itvlocal.com/wales/politics/?player=WAL_Politics_15&void=254471

Here is the newscast version of the story - once again, I apologize for the quality.:

2 comments:

Jessi Ziepfel said...

You are quite the celebrity over there!

P.S. That outfit was not only fierce but also very patriotic.

Anonymous said...

Nice article ;-)