Wednesday 19 November 2008

Why I love being a Bobcat...

Here I am, on the home stretch. I've come to realize a few things since my last post. Yes, I really am going to miss it here. Plain and simple. I'm going to miss my friends, my job, my apartment. I'm going to miss the tea, the Welsh cakes and the quick and (basically) easy travel. But oh how much I can't wait to get back to Athens.



I spent much of my day today rekindling some of my favorite YouTube videos through the use of My Favorites on my own YouTube account. I found the video shot from a dorm on South Green during a ridiculous lightning storm my sophomore year. I can remember watching the same lightning storm with Kelsey and Rachel out the window of our Scott Quad triple and seeing the electric bolt hit just a few hundred feet from our window. We nearly peed our pants.



I came across some videos of the OZONE doing chants at basketball games. And my personal favorite, I came across one I remember happening during MillFest last year - some idiot riding a razor scooter down the road and flipping into a blow up pool.



I then decided to search videos tagged with Ohio University to kind of keep up with what some of my fellow students have been up to while I've been gone. I came across many videos from this year's Halloween celebration (as expected) and I came across videos of the event my friends couldn't stop talking about - the Oaktoberfest 2008 street fires.

Now let me preface this by saying that my friends are not a bunch of arsonists and are not responsible for these fires - they just happen to live on the street. While some may find my friends to be rather irresponsible and stupid, I find them quite interesting. I can't say what I would have done had I been present for these fires, but I will say I wouldn't have reacted in the same way as a couple of idiots, caught on video, did by trying to jump through the 8 foot high flames. Please do not assume these morons are my friends and please do not assume I would ever be THIS stupid.




Aside from those videos of my fellow students being complete and total idiots, I discovered a couple that had been put together to mock the NBA's "Where Amazing Happens" commercials. I will not tell a lie, a tear came to my eye. As a near-graduation senior, I can't help but be sentimental about EVERYTHING that I've experienced while at Ohio University.





I can remember trying to make the choice between Ohio University and Ohio State University. I had already made plans to be a Buckeye - and then the acceptance letter from Scripps came in the mail. I took it as a sign from God that I was going to graduate a Bobcat. And to be completely honest, I thank God every day for that letter. Had it come a day later, the title of this blog would be 'Why I love being a Buckeye...' and I'd talk mostly about jumping into Mirror Lake, football and staying so close with high school friends.


I am so proud to be a Bobcat for all of the above reasons. I'm proud to call people who cheat death through their alcohol consumption, crazy antics and drunken shenanigans my best friends, acquaintances and classmates. I'm proud of everything Athens has to offer and everything that Athens doesn't have to offer. If I walk into an interview later on down the road and they say, 'Oh, you went to OU. That's quite the party school.' I'll say, 'Yes. Yes it is,' and keep my head held high. I will NEVER be ashamed to be a Bobcat and I'll never let anyone from the outside try to degrade my intelligence and dedication because I learned how to handle my booze while I was in school.

I have made the best friends, the greatest connections and had the best time - all thanks to Ohio University.

No comments: